The village is situated on the southern part of Transylvania, amongst hills, at almost the same distance from the two important localities of the neighborhood Mediaș (Mediasch) and Sighişoara (Schässburg). This part of the Transylvanian plateau called the Târnavelor Plateau is famous of its wines, even its historical name was Weinland.
The settlement’s first written mentioning is from 1283 and it was established at the time of the beginnings of the colonization.
It is a compact settlement which has kept well the original historical network of its streets. The village had been built along the two main streets, located on the terraces of the Richişului and Biertanului brooks’ valleys and it has been divided into districts based on ethnical criteria, which was the typical structuring way of the Transylvanian Saxons at the time. The placement of the Saxons and their development are illustrating the social relationships in the frame of the settlement.
The fortress of the village and the Lutheran church are in the center of the locality. The settlement is surrounded with hills which offer a great view over the monuments. The first written mentioning of the church is from 1402. Between the years 1572 - 1867 it was an episcopal church. It is a hall church with three naves of the same width.
The naves have four bays and are separated from each other by three pairs of massive octagonal pillars. Above the vaults and the choir there is a defensive level.
The fortress has an irregular planimetry adapted to the configuration of the ground structured into three concentric enclosures with fortified bastions and loopholes. The first wall has an oval shape with extensions towards the area of the northwest corners of the church and on the northern side between the Clock Tower and the Tower of the Mausoleum. The second wall was built at an approx. 15 m. distance from the first one, its shape is oval on the northern, eastern and southern sides. It is fortified with two bastions: the Tower of the Bacon and the Tower of the Old Mayoralty. The third curtain wall defends the east, south and west side of the fortress and it is fortified with two bastions: the Gate Tower having three levels, of which the bottom part is vaulted and the upper has shooting holes, and the Tower of the Weavers, a three leveled building also with embrasures.
Visit the fortified church:
Contact person: Rev. Ulf Ziegler
The months June - August daily, from 10:00 to 13:00 and from 14:00 to 19:00
The months April, May, September and October daily, from 10:00 to 13:00 and 14:00-17:00
Daily upon request on phone no. +40749231199, except holidays.
Tourists cannot visit the church during religious service. Evangelic service twice/month.
In the summer: Organ concerts
Possibility to stay in the parsonage
Citadel Pension Casa Dornröschen
Traditional meal, wine tasting and picnics for groups by prior announcement
there are accommodation possibilities in the village as well, and there is a wine cellar to visit