The locality is situated southeast of Transylvania, on the Plateau of Târnava Rivers, close to the confluence of Târnava Mare and Târnava Mică, at the eastern end of the Saxon colonization area of the Târnava plateau, 20 km east from Sighişoara.
In the nineteenth century the locality named „Kezdi” was founded by the Szekler who were defending the eastern border of the Hungarian Kingdom. The first Saxons were settled between the years 1161 -1241 in addition to the already colonized Szekler. The locality’s first attestation is from the year 1309. In 1366 the settlement obtained legal autonomy.
It is a compact settlement with well-preserved historical parceling. The center of the village is the Main Square, a trapezoidal spacious place, where the most important buildings of common interest are standing: administrative headquarters (including the city hall, police station, library, and post office), commercial and public alimentation units, pharmacy, medical clinic, kindergarten, primary school, veterinary sanitary cabinet and community center.
In the old times the village was split into neighborhoods based on ethnical criteria: thus it use to have a Saxon, a Romanian, a Szekler and a Roma neighborhood.
The most important building of the square is the Lutheran Church with its spire. The site is dominated by hills, from where we can have a great view on the monument.
The Lutheran church in Saschiz is a typical fortified church, an exemplar of the architectonic movement combining the religious and defensive roles of buildings.
’The Saschiz model’ had been re-created in the construction of the Saxon churches in Cloaşterf, Dupuş and Boz and it had its influence in the fortification of tens of churches built on the east side of the Târnava plateau in the first quarter of the 16th century. It also had a great influence on the construction of other buildings too, like in the case of the church in Dârjiu, for instance.
The actual church dedicated to Saint Stephen was built in 1493 – 1525. It is a simple late Gothic hall (41/14m), with no tower on the west side and a fortified level. In 1878 a lateral stand was built on the western side of the nave, where a new pipe organ was installed. In 1878-1879 the arch of the chorus was replaced with a cylindrical arch and the nave was vaulted with cylindrical vault bearing ceramic decorations.
The spire standing today was built in the 17th century. It was transformed into a spire in 1677, getting the same decoration and the same kind of roof as the Clock Tower in Sighişoara. In 1830 the roof got its final look.
The Refugees’ Fortress (built before 134, having three enclosures) is located at approx. 400 m west-north-west from the village, on the Burgberg hill. On northwest, northeast and southeast the peak is surrounded by deep ravines and steep slopes. From here we can have an excellent view on the surrounding valleys. The access to the fortress is from south, southeast, village direction on a carriage road.
Visit the fortified church:
Contact: Katharina Ziegler
Phone no. +40744179039
Open: May to November daily from 14:00 to 16:00
From November until April the summer schedule is no longer valid, but visiting is possible upon request.
Ticket: 4 RON/adult, 2 RON/kind
ADEPT Touristic Information office, Saschiz:
-open: May to October daily from 09.00 to 18.00,
November to April daily from 09.00 to 16.30.
-address: Saschiz, Main street no. 166 (next to the church, on the main road)
-phone no. +40265711 635
in the village and its neighborhood.