nagybaromlak

The locality is situated 5 km south from the DN 14 road, on the way to Sibiu (47 km) and Mediaș (18 km), right to Copșa Mică town. It is part of the Târnava plateau and it is located in the narrow valley of Vorumloc, an influent of the Târnava Mare.

The village is surrounded by hills with wine yards, the landscape is typical for the northwestern side of the Hârtibaciului plateau of Land of the Wine.

It was mentioned for the first time in 1263 as „possessio Barwmlak” and this was its first written attestation.

The village is concentrated around three streets: the Sommergrasse, the Wintergrasse and the Kotgrasse (Summer Street, Winter Street, and Muddy Street). The streets are running into each other in a small square on which the Lutheran church and fortress are standing.

The enclosure has an oval shape and it is fortified with four bastions, embrasures and orifices to which access can be made on a watch road on masonry columns linked with arches. The gate of the fortress was defended by herses, the remaining can be still seen. Three towers are placed outside the enclosure and the East tower is partially (two third) outside.

The church stands in the center of the locality at the crossing of the main streets, on a flat area, crossed by the Heveş brook from the east side of the fortress, which flows into the Vorumloc brook located at the south side of the fortress.

In the year 1414 the Saint Peter church was attested as a church built on the place of an earlier Romanesque chapel.

In the 16th century the church was fortified, the western gate was disbanded. Above the southern gates the naves were completed with balconies, defended with herses amongst which the one on the northern entrance is still kept. The vaults were also constructed in this period, the nave was raised and 3 defensive levels were built above the choir, which resulted in the fortification of the interior walls of the choir. There were also buttresses added to it, and in front of the western gate another buttress was built. On the right side of the second level of the tower a defensive stand with arches was built.

To the southern side a spiral flight of stairs was added to the tower. The tower was raised and a wooden defensive gallery was added to it.

The Choir Tower, which is characteristic for the fortified churches of Târnava plateau is higher than any other tower in the region. It has three defensive levels, each of them having 7 narrow loopholes. On the upper level the buttresses are unnited into arches camouflaging the throwing holes on the perimeter of the choir.

Amongst the artistic objects we have to mention the Baroque altar from 1779, a piece of art created by Stephan Folbarth, a sculptor from Sighişoara, the Baroque baldachin from 1746 and a Romanesque baptistery from the fourteenth century.

The tabernacle is decorated with the motif of „Vir dolorum”, which is in correlation with the dated tabernacles in Bazna (1504) and Ighişul Nou (1491). Under the bas-relief „Christus Salvator Mundi” is written with small Gothic letters.

Amongst the furniture the stall with seven decorated seats is remarkable, its style being characteristic to the transition period between Gothic and Renaissance, the baldachin is decorated with plant motives on its polychrome bas-relief, the central panel bears a cartridge with the date 1528 on it.

The pipe organ is the work of master Melchior Achs from 1807-1808 and in 1908 it was repaired by the manufacturer Einschenk from Braşov.

 

Visit the fortified church:

Contact: Mrs. Johanna Schneider,

Phone: +40269515266 or +40269843483

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Supporters




Partners
Civitas
Képtalálat a következőre: „unitarius cimer”
Biroul de Coordonare Biserici Fortificate